Friday, February 19, 2010

Book Review: Love Your Heart

I just finished reading, Love Your Heart, written by Tim McGraw and Tom Douglas. This is the second book in a children's series by the famous country singer. This story is about a little girl named Katie who cannot decide on what talent to perform at her school's talent show. She shows her different talents to her dad with humorous results. When the time comes for the talent show, Katie finds a unselfish way to show off her talent at being a caring friend.

I enjoyed reading this book. I tried to read it with my daughter but she is only 18 months and did not sit to read it with me. I thought the story was very sweet and I liked how it taught such a positive message about friendship and giving unselfishly to others. Katie was a very realistic and like able character. I really enjoyed her interactions with her dog and the silly messes she created. I think all parents can relate to how fast children can accidentally make a big mess. The illustrations were beautiful and eye catching.

My only critique of the story was that it was a bit cheesy at times. It was very sweet how much love was displayed between Katie and her dad but it sounded a little fake at times. I also found the text size and font printed in the book to be somewhat distracting. The words would change size and I found it slightly odd.

No comments: